What is Hospice?
Making the best decision for you and for your family begins with understanding the hospice choice, the role hospice can play in your life and the lives of your loved ones and what choosing hospice really means.
Hospice care is unique in that it focuses on addressing physical comfort, emotional well-being and spiritual peace. It offers comfort, dignity and optimal quality of life for people facing an advanced illness. Its focus is centered on quality of life where the goal becomes living life more fully, more completely and more in control.
Many of our patients and their families will tell you that hospice really is living. That means having choices, regaining control and focusing on life that remains rather than the illness.
It’s care that centers on the patient’s goals and wishes. They are involved with and direct every care decision. Think of it as a partnership, where we create a plan of care together. And you, your family and your physician remain involved in all decisions.
Care is provided by a supportive team of caregivers whose skills and commitment combine to provide a complete 24-hour support system for you and your family.
- Physicians with specialty-training in hospice and palliative medicine
- Nurses expertly skilled in pain control and symptom management
- Hospice aides who gently assist with personal care
- Social workers providing family support and education
- Volunteers offering extra support and friendly visits
- Chaplains helping provide spiritual guidance, understanding and meaning
- Bereavement counselors offering support and education for families coping with loss.